Why choose us for your Sound Insulation Testing?

S.E.A provide fully accredited Sound Insulation Testing (Acoustic Testing), which is a necessity for certain projects to comply with Building Regulations.

Answering Your Questions

What is Sound Insulation Testing?

Sound insulation and robust building practices provide resistance to the passage of airborne and impact sound. Sound testing is a method of quantifying how the fabric of a building resists the passage of sound.

Why do I need a Sound Insulation Test?

Building regulations require a minimum performance for Sound Insulation between adjacent spaces, for the purpose of providing reasonable living conditions for occupants.

Both residential and non-residential buildings, where Sound Insulation performance needs to be demonstrated, require testing. Applicable regulations can be found in Document E 2003 for England and Wales.

What is the procedure for a Sound Insulation Test?

Airborne Test: A controlled noise using a range of frequencies is generated by an amplifier and loudspeaker on one side of a separating wall or floor. Noise levels are then measured and recorded on both sides of the separating wall or floor. The level of controlled noise transmitted between the source room and the receiving room is then calculated.

Impact Sound Transmission Test: A calibrated tapping machine is used to simulate footfall on the floor. The generated noise is measured in the dwelling below, using a sound meter.

Reverberation Time: This is the time taken for sound to decay. It is used in the calculation for both airborne and impact tests.

What is the results procedure?

Results can usually be given verbally on the day, followed up by a full report within 5-7 working days of the test. Reports are usually emailed and you then forward a copy to your Building Control officer.

If the test fails, the engineer may advise on potential areas of failure. Remedial works can then be carried out by the developer/builder, and a re-test arranged. This will incur an additional cost.

Advice on design to minimise the risk of failure can be given upon request.

How much testing is required?

Approved Document E 2003 for England and Wales, states that 1 set of tests is required for every 10 units in a group or sub-group.

A group or sub-group is defined where significant differences in construction or layout occur. Plots may be selected by Building control or advised by the architect, builder or tester.

Houses: 2 Airborne Sound Insulation Tests of a separating wall.

Flats: 2 Airborne Sound Insulation Tests of a separating wall, 2 Airborne Sound Insulation Tests of a separating floor, and 2 Impact Sound Transmission Tests on a separating floor.

Rooms (hotel, care home, school, student etc): 1 Airborne Sound Insulation Test of a separating wall, 1 Airborne Sound Insulation Test of a separating floor, and 1 Impact Sound Transmission Test on a separating floor.

Detached dwellings do not have to be tested.

What are the common problem areas?

Good workmanship, material selection, design and adherence to recognised Accredited Construction Details are a major influence on Sound Insulation performance. To maximise performance, designs can be discussed prior to construction with our engineers.

Why should I use S.E.A Building Compliance?

We believe in making things easier for our clients by providing a cost effective 'one stop shop' for building compliance.

Our in-house team are accredited to all relevant governing bodies and audited regularly for quality assurance.

Our approach is to provide an excellent customer experience through efficiency, reliability, knowledge and professionalism.